Skip to main content

OVER 20 PEOPLE DIE FROM FIRE EXPLOSION AT AN ILLEGAL OIL REFINERY IN BAYELSA


20 people  at least have reportedly been killed at an illegal refinery at Kolo Creek in the Ogbia Local Government Area of Bayelsa State and many others were said to have suffered varying degrees of buruns due to the explosion

It was alleged that te JTF, Operation Delta Safe, and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, security outfits directly in charge of checking illegal bunkering, pipeline vandalism and illegal refineries, have had knowledge of the camp but allegedly failed to stop its operation ever since.

According to reports, tragedy struck in the camp near the creeks of Ebelebiri and Otuogwe when it exploded on December 5, 2017 and went up in flames. Community sources claimed that an attempt by a woman in the camp to cook noodles, using a stove, sparked the fire that caused the havoc.  

An eyewitness described it as tragic, unspeakable and avoidable.  “When we got there, I almost vomited. I saw charred remains of people. They were burnt beyond recognition. In some cases, you could only see heads and feet of victims. Despite the burnt bodies, we still met people illegally cooking crude oil there. We thought that security agencies, especially the military, would have taken over the place, but we didn’t meet any security operatives. We only met people who were still refining illegally bunkered crude oil. It was that bad and terrible.”  

It was gathered that the camp, allegedly owned by a powerful cartel, had been in operation for a long time. Investigation, however, revealed that the state police command had earlier appealed to security agencies in charge of oil theft, especially the NSCDC and the JTF, to clamp down on the site and arrest the operators.  A police source told newsmen that the Commissioner of Police uncovered the existence of the camp through intelligence gathering and warned of dire consequences.

The source said the commissioner had, in September, allegedly dispatched a letter to security commanders in charge of oil theft, appealing to them to treat the matter with urgency.  He quoted some parts of the letter as saying, “Information gathered revealed that the presence of ongoing illegal refining of petroleum products such as kerosene, diesel at Ebelebiri and Otuogwe, two communities in the Ogbia LGA of Bayelsa State, under the Kolo jurisdiction.  “The activities of these criminals constitute economic sabotage to the nation as well as endangering lives and properties as explosion on this pipeline may lead to disaster”. He said

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOP 7 Richest People in the World 2018

7. AMANCIO ORTEGA Richest People - Amancio Ortega Net Worth: $70.5 Billion Amancio Ortega is a Spanish entrepreneur and founder of the Inditex fashion group. Inditex owns Zara, and Zara is one of the most popular clothing chains worldwide. Ortega recently dropped down to the 7th richest man in the world, after other players on the list have been making some serious moves. He’s also lost over $11 billion from his net worth in recent months. 6. CARLOS SLIM HELU Richest People - Carlos Slim Helu Net Worth: $70.5 Billion Carlos Slim Helu is a Mexican businessman and investor; owner of the conglomerate ‘Grupo Carso’. The conglomerate’s portfolio consists of brands in many different industries, such as health care, media, energy, real estate and retail. Carlos is 6th on this list of the richest people in the world, with a net worth of $70.5 billion. In recent months, Carlos Slim has lost almost $6 billion from his net worth, and dropped from 4th to 6th. 5...

Russia2018: Argentina's goalkeeper Romero Ruled out of world cup with knee injury

All hell is against Messi carring the world cupas Argentina’s World Cup preparations suffered a big blow on Tuesday as goalkeeper Sergio Romero was ruled out of the tournament with a knee injury, said the Argentina Football Association (AFA). The Manchester United goalkeeper injured his right knee during training in Buenos Aires on Tuesday. “Romero will be removed from the list of 23 players who will participate in the 2018 World Cup in Russia,” the AFA said in a statement. Romero, 31, is the most capped goalkeeper in the history of the Argentina national team with 83 appearances and represented the country at the 2010 and 2014 World Cups. The AFA said Romero had suffered a blockage in his right knee and was being evaluated surgically. A replacement will be announced “in the coming days,” the statement said. As well as his World Cup experience, Romero has represented Argentina in three Copa Americas and was also a member of the side that won gold at the 2008 Bei...

Breaking: MMM founder Sergei Mavrodi dies of heart attack

I Russian businessman and founder of the MMM Pyramid scheme, Sergei Mavrodi, is dead. According to Russian media, Mavrodi whose MMM pyramid scheme deprived millions of Russians their savings in the 1990s, died of a heart attack. Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty reports Monday that the 62-year-old was rushed to the hospital late on March 25 with pain in his chest and died several hours later. Mr. Mavrodi’s MMM financial pyramid was a typical Ponzi scheme in which earlier investors receive their profits from subsequent investors. It also promised returns of 20 per cent to 75 per cent a month, as well as lotteries and bonuses for investors.  As soon as the number of new clients stopped growing, the pyramid collapsed, causing huge financial losses for at least 10 million people, in some cases leaving them destitute. In 1994, Mr. Mavrodi was elected as a lawmaker, a decision he later said was to ensure he received immunity from prosecution although he ...